Monday, April 8, 2013

Pondering

Over the last year I have been struggling with my career, I am a certified veterinary technician (CVT) and have been working in the veterinary field for more that 20 years. Since we moved to Michigan, I have been having trouble finding a job in a veterinary hospital. As you can imagine, I am picky about where I work, I want to work somewhere with a positive environment that will use all of my skills. Unfortunately, the veterinary clinics here are still feeling the crunch from the economy and there are very few places that are hiring. All this leaves me sad and feeling depressed about my career. I wonder if it's time to move on?

And now the good part, I love my job. It has been one of the most rewarding jobs I have ever done. I have helped educate thousands of pet owners, helped countless numbers of pets, and made some life long friends. Being a veterinary technician satisfies the nurturing need that I have. I also enjoy constantly learning new advances in vet med, I have learned a lot over my career and I want to share it.

In the last year, I have been putting a lot of energy into my bead making and putting myself out there which has been fun and exciting but the nurturing part has been lacking. So, I guess for now, I will continue to look for jobs in a vet clinic until I am really ready to move on from being a CVT.

Here are some pics from my jobs:
Me with Dr. Mary Knott performing an ultrasound on Pico.

This ferral female cat lived in our neighborhood. I tried to trap her for weeks. Finally after feeding her daily, she decided to have her 4 kittens in our backyard and I was able to trap them all. We kept them until the kittens were weened and adopted. Then we spayed and vaccinated mom and released her. They all went to great homes, even mom was adopted by one of the neighbors.  Oddly, she stayed clear of our house after the whole ordeal :)

A chihuahua that was found on the street. I was fostering him and found him a new home.

This little chihuahua came into the vet with severe dehydration, vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia and no vaccine history. He tested negative for Parvo, but needed lots of TLC. After being on fluids for a couple days, I took him home over the weekend to continue his care, he did great and was adopted out a couple days later.
Here he is with his new family. They named him Poppy.
Cat radiograph

Me and Pico just playing around.


4 comments:

  1. You are so good at everything you do. You have made a difference in so many lives over the years as a CVT. Glad you decided to continue with it as it brings you so much happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what cute pics :) You have made the world a better place for animals, for sure. As far as finding a job, I would just sit back and not worry about it. Things will work out just the way they're supposed to, in time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I hope the right job comes along soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That picture of Pico gets me every time.

    ReplyDelete