Tuesday, December 4, 2012

My new city love

Some of you already know this, but for those of you who do not, I LOVE the city. Any city. San Francisco, New York, D.C., Phoenix....

I spent my childhood in both a city and the country. Living in Arizona as an adult, I felt I could have the best of both worlds. Phoenix is a large city, but is more sprawled out than San Fran or NYC, the downtown has been growing over the last couple of years and there are fabulous restaurants, coffee shops and bars. If you wanted something smaller, all you had to do was drive 1-2 hours away and you were in a small town or hiking in the pine trees or in Tucson in the low desert. Arizona really has a lot to offer, but it also has its politics....

Then there was living in the Bay Area, going to SF and feeling the energy of the big city, the people, the high rise buildings, the ocean, the bussle. Man I miss that. And yes there is the traffic, the garbage....

When we lived in AZ, we vacationed in SF every year, and even though it was another state away, I always felt it was just next door.

Moving to Michigan, I am saddened by the thought of SF being so far away. We have visited NYC and D.C. and absolutely loved it. I have taken comfort in the fact that they are very close, but sadly not next door.
I have been to Detroit a few times, and love it there. I have to spend more time there finding places to see and explore. Detroit is different though. It is hopefully in its recovery process, and will continue to get better. Only time will tell.

Sadly, we did not make it to San Francisco this year, but I have found my city love again!

Meet my new neighbor: CHICAGO!

And I look forward to many more visits to Chi Town..... I won't forget you SF, I will see you next year.



















1 comment: